12.01.2010

I'm A Pretty Colored Girl Who Rocks, But I'm At A Breaking Point With Today’s Music

Please watch the video before reading this note.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xftvrw_keri-hilson-feat-rick-ross-y-the-way-you-love-me-clip_music


Let me say I anticipated the release of Keri Hilson's sophomore CD as I absolutely LOVED her last CD; the 2 latest singles LOVE them. Pretty Girl Rock is my ring tone and Breaking Point, what woman can't relate? However, this new song The Way You Love Me is doing WAYYYYY too much. After watching the video I felt as if I had just left a strip club and been slapped in the face by her vagina several times-did I mention she's doing WAYYYYY too much? The lyrics left me feeling verbally and sexually assaulted. Granted I am one person, but I am one person who now doubts the quality of her work as an artist. For the life of me I cannot understand why such a talented young woman feels the need to thrust her vagina which she refers to as "that kind of pussy that’ll keep you off the streets…” in a video or on a song.

How is this even considered music when she screams “…Fk me, fk me – it’s the way you fk me...” throughout the entire song, sounds a little desperate to me. If this is pillow talk maybe she should've left that talk in the bedroom. This is an R&B song and unfortunately it will get radio play, but will have many of the lyrics beeped out. I must say I love listening to music, especially when every other word is beeped out, filled with much sarcasim. Some things are just better left unsaid, or at least kept private.

You can be sexy without being slutty; you can be aggressive and confident and tell a man what you want from him without being self destructive and counter productive to young women or to yourself. This song as well as this video is tasteless and perhaps I wouldn’t care as much if I didn’t feel that she makes “good” music or if I were not a fan of her work, but I do and I was. After seeing Ms. Hilson on Black Girls Rock I must say I am disappointed and if this is any indication of how the rest of the CD will sound I am one (yes one) person who just may not buy it.

If she'll do all this to sell a CD what won’t she do? We have got to do better.

Signed,

A Colored Girl Who Rocks, But Is At a Breaking Point With Today’s Music

No comments: